Dolly Parton
Dolly Parton News Dolly Parton Tour Archives Dolly Parton Photos Downloads Forum Dolly Parton Store Dolly Parton Mailing List About Dolly Parton Links

Someone from Dolly's past...

Are you new to the board and not sure where to start posting? Well, you can start off by introducing yourself here...

Someone from Dolly's past...

Postby capnjack on Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:28 pm

In the late 1960's, I was playing saxophone wilh a Nashville blues band called the Crystals. We had been doing some demos at Tree Publishing on Music Row for a staff writer named John Hurley. There were very few R and B bands in Nashville at that time that had horns and were able to get gigs, and we were fortunate to be one of them. John had composed a song called 'Son of a Preacher Man' of which the Crystals played the demo John used to pitch to various artists. Dusty Springfield had a big hit with John's song.
Dolly Parton was also a staff writer there along wih Curley Putman (Green Green Grass of Home) and numerous other terrific artists that Buddy Killen, then President of Tree Publishing had signed.
I can remember one summer evening going out for a 'double date' joy ride around Nashville with Dolly and Milton. our lead singer, and a cute staff secretary whose name I can't remember. I also can't remember much else about the evening, for it was nearly forty years ago.
I do, however, remember Dolly. She was bigger than life itself even then. She loved to kiss the boys and no one could ever forget that. She was so different than anyone we had ever met. Dolly was, to us, somewhat unsofsiticated, even to a point that those of us who were schooled musicians considered her a little 'corny'. This was a term we applied to most country music artists and fans at that time.
Boy, did we read her wrong.
Needless to say, this little wonder girl from the mountains of East Tennessee has singlehandedly taken her raw talent and unmitigated personality and achieved greatness. I am so much in awe of her success, for she epitomizes the spirit of America. Her music will endure for centuries. Her gifts will endure forever.
I am so proud to have once met this amazing lady, and I hope everyone who reads this can have just one chance to see her in person.
Trust me, Dolly Parton is an experience for the heart, and an experience you will never forget.
Jack Easley
Nashville
capnjack

Re: Someone from Dolly's past...

Postby ILoveDolly4Ever! on Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:22 pm

Wow Jack you sound like you've had quite a life so far, even from just what you've said about your experience with Dolly. It's one of my dreams to meet Dolly, she seems like such an amazing person. Sounds like you had a real fun night with her! Don't suppose you had a bit of a kiss with her did you? :lol: Well welcome to the forum, i'm sure you're gonna go down a storm here! :D
'We walk it each step of the way with the dust of the rugged road clinging to our bare feet. Although we seldom realise it at the time, that dust is more precious to us than gold dust' Dolly Parton
ILoveDolly4Ever!

Return to Introduce Yourself